top of page

A TRIP TO LEH-LADAKH IS A UNIQUE EXPERIENCE


Leh-Ladakh (India) has always been more than a destination. From the high roads to the spectacular natural beauty and traditional cuisine, everything makes a visit here a unique experience. Being one of the most beautiful destinations in India, Ladakh boasts of its lakes with water like the sky, beautiful monasteries, guarded by rugged mountains and its countless absolutely stunning destinations.


But, like any other place in India, Leh-Ladakh also has things less known to the general public:


Leh-Ladakh, Asia's largest stargazing telescope

Ladakh is one of the best locations in the world for stargazing. Located at a high altitude, with clear skies and having the second highest telescope in the world, this is one of the best activities to do in Ladakh. The observatory is located in Hanle and is at an astonishing altitude of 4,500 m!


The highest settlement in India

Ladakh is considered to be the highest settlement in India, with cultivated fields located at an altitude of 4,600 m. These culture camps are located in Korzok, and travelers have the opportunity to experience something that can only be found here.


The camels of Valea Nubrei

Bactrian camels or camels with double humps are a very rare species and are found specific to the Nubra Valley area.


Dras, the second coldest place on earth

Dras, a small village, is the coldest place in India and is also known as the second coldest inhabited place on Earth. The temperature here can drop to -45 degrees Celsius.


Pangong Lake

The lakes of Ladakh are breathtakingly beautiful, and one of the most impressive is Pangong Lake. It is known to be the second highest salt water lake in the world and the highest in India. Located at an altitude of 4350 m, Pangong Lake is approximately 134 km long. Interestingly, only 30% of this beautiful lake in Ladakh is in India. The rest of 70% is in China.


The highest point for whitewater rafting

The Zanskar Valley in Ladakh offers not only trekking but also other places of adventure. One of the most challenging activities that tourists can enjoy in Leh Ladakh is whitewater rafting on the Zanskar River.


The highest bridge in the world

Located at an astonishing altitude of 5,602 meters above sea level, the Bailey Bridge is the highest bridge in the world and is located in Ladakh. The bridge is built over the Suru and Dras rivers and was built in 1982.


The fascination of the magnetic hill

The magnetic hill is the gravity defying area of Ladakh and also an interesting place. In this area, from a technical point of view, you are going down the hill, but the feeling is that you are going up! This is one of the most interesting places to visit in Ladakh and many travelers enjoy a quad bike ride in this place.


Land on the moon

In Lamayuru there is a lunar landscape on earth! Yes, you read that right, a lunar landscape! Home to one of the oldest monasteries in the world, Lamayuru is a picturesque village halfway between Kargil and Leh. Close to the massive Himalayas, the land is carved like the land of the moon and therefore claims its lunar fame.


The largest number of snow leopards

One of the best places to visit is the Ladakh Hemis National Park, which is also the place where you can find the most snow leopards in the world. It is a protected area where this species is flourishing.


The highest pass in Ladakh

The highest pass in Ladakh is Marsimek La, which is also one of the highest motorable passes in the world. Marsimek La is open for tourists and civilians at an altitude of 5,582 m. On your next trip to Ladakh, if you want to access this area, you must first get permission from the army.



Between 21.08-02.09.2023, you have the opportunity to discover all of the above, and even more, if you book an experience place organized by Monica Filip - My Sacred India, Himalaya Adventure Retreat. Find out details and book your place here


Comments


bottom of page